Kurt Warner & False Converts

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 7:34 AM

While he may not have won a Super Bowl ring, it is obvious that his true treasure is in heaven.  The concern he has for his family and friends is awesome and we need to pray for Kurt as he desires to reach out to the unsaved in his life.



The issues that he is talking about is something church does not address much.  Our churches are filled with unrepentant people who claim the name of Christ, yet they live a life of sinful disobedience.  Remember, Jesus himself said that we must be born again in order to enter the kingdom of heaven. 

"Jesus answered and said to him, 'Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.”'" John 3:3

On top of that, the book of 1 John is very clear:

"Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked."  1 John 2:3-6

I am not saying we will walk in perfection but if we are living in a lifestyle of sin then that may be a warning that we need to be born again.

So how is it that we are born again?  Well, it's simple and yet isn't.

The gift of salvation is just that, a gift.  It is through the grace of God that we are saved through Christ who paid the penalty for our sin on the cross.  BUT in order to be born again we must respond to that gift and that response is repentance and faith.

As a kid I said a prayer and walked an isle, but I had never truly repented of my sins.  I spoke the lingo and went to church, but I was no closer to God than I was before I said this prayer.  The "decision" I made was made of the flesh (I wanted to make my parents & others happy) and not of the Spirit (I was sorry for my sins and desired salvation) and this "ask Jesus into my heart" mentality is being repeated all over our country.  It was not until I was broken and humbled before the Lord, saw my sin for what it was and cried out for salvation in high school that I was saved.  Before that I was just really good at pretending.

Yes, salvation is easy (in the essence that it is by grace and all we have to do is call upon the name of the Lord), but it is hard because it requires humility.  Until we see ourselves as sinful wretches in need of a savior we will never truly repent and trust in Christ.  That is why false converts are the hardest group of people to talk to about true, biblical salvation - they know the lingo, go to church and have a false sense of security.  They think that their "good" works will outweigh their sins, and therefore completely miss the incredible gospel.

So how do we discern between the sheep (true believers) and goats (false converts)?  That is not our job. Surely if someone is deep in gross sin and yet is claiming Christ within our church then they need to be disciplined according to scripture, but otherwise we minister to all and let the Lord separate the sheep from the goats when the time comes.

This is not an easy subject to discuss because it makes many uncomfortable and our current age has made salvation little more than "trying Jesus" when it is so much more than that.  Here is a great teaching on this very thing from Ray Comfort.  Ray is a speaker, author and evangelist and he and Kurt Cameron star in the TV Series "Way of the Master."  This teaching is called Hell's Best Kept Secret and will open your eyes to the exact thing that Kurt Warner was talking about.

God bless.

Comments (0)