Deke's Newsletter Devotion - October 23rd

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 9:21 AM

“Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.” Romans 13:1

If you didn’t know - we have an election coming up soon in our country (I know...a shocker). On November 4th our country will head to the polls and vote for the next president and various other political leaders. Another thing you may have noticed is that a LOT of people are either anxious as all get out or viciously attacking anyone with an opposing view.

Now, I am not saying a healthy debate is not needed (I think it is) but as I’ve seen more and more slander, misrepresentation and even violence occur I wonder if people have lost their minds. I have to admit I do engage in the debate on occasion and have made my opinions known, but I try to do it in a manner that is in keeping with my understanding of God and His calling on my life.

As a believer in a holy and sovereign God, do I need to be stressed about the outcome of an election? Do I need to fight with my neighbor over a sign in their yard or slander someone just because I think they are wrong? The answer is a big NO. I will vote according to my beliefs and for a candidate that has a better record of protecting babies and families, but if God (knowing all things) chooses to put in the opposing candidate should I rebel? Well, unless this new leader forces me to do something unbiblical then NO I cannot...I must submit.

So, this election year let’s not be swayed by media hype or fruitless rhetoric. Let’s vote our conscious and then trust our Creator who knew the outcome of this election before time existed. Here are a few verses (including the one above) to encourage you:

“Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand, measured heaven with a span and calculated the dust of the earth in a measure? Weighed the mountains in scales and the hills in a balance?” Isaiah 40:12

“[Jesus] who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords, who alone has immortality, dwelling in unapproachable light, whom no man has seen or can see, to whom be honor and everlasting power. Amen. 1 Timothy 6:15-16

Comments (1)

i think you are so right about the election thing i am fed up with people degrading each other
Thank you,
Caleb