I saved a Webkinz yesterday

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 8:13 AM

There my daughter and I sat, staring into the computer screen in shock and horror.  All 11 of her registeredWebkinz were dying of hunger.  No seriously, their food level was down to almost single digits.  As I stared at the dehydrated hippo I freaked...


"Emily!  Feed him some hippo helper and don't forget to the gorge the pig on mud pies!!"

After she slapped me with the stuffed golden retriever I came to my senses and she and I had a blast shoving piles of food into each digital creatures tummy.  Of course, I was wondering what happens to digital creatures when they die.  Surely a computer's registry cannot be the best place to hang out.  Maybe all those ones and zeros can be recycled into math problems for kindergardeners or something.  Anyway, after about 30 minutes of intense nursing we got all the animals fed and in bed (including my horse who sleeps on a football helmet).  

This morning as I sipped on my coffee and thanked the Lord for the time I had yesterday with my kids I thought about that time of digital doctoring and Psalm 1:1-3 came to mind.

"Blessed is the man
         Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly, 
         Nor stands in the path of sinners, 
         Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
 
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
         And in His law he meditates day and night.
 
3 He shall be like a tree
         Planted by the rivers of water, 
         That brings forth its fruit in its season, 
         Whose leaf also shall not wither; 
         And whatever he does shall prosper." 


Our time in God's word is like a heaping spoonful of horseshoe flap jacks for a hungry horse.  It is nourishment to our bodies and without it we become weak and are more apt to fall.  When we consume God's word on a daily basis and make it our primary diet then we "shall not wither."

If you are like me then you are extremely busy all day long and find yourself consumed by the tyranny of the urgent.  Many times I have to force myself to sit and meditate on God's word because my mind is on 100 other things that I think I need to deal with within the next 5 minutes or the world may blow up.  It's not that I do not desire to read God's word but that I tend to get caught up in the less important things and therefore end up withering on the vine and wondering why I cannot get done what I need to get done.

That's when I am too often reminded:

"Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.  5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." John 15:4-5

Like my daughter's Webkinz I too will end up sickly and malnourished if I do not take heed to scripture and plant myself next to the stream of life found ONLY in God's word.  Of course, I rather eat from God's word than consume a bowl of digital dog chow any day.

Comments (0)