Dave's Newsletter Devotion - Feb 20th

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 7:31 AM

"I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty.  I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.  I can do everything through him who gives me strength."  Philippians 4:12-13

In case you're wondering why it's been so long since you've heard from me via the newsletter, a nasty computer virus wiped out my home PC on December 23rd.  Yep, two days before Christmas.  If you're like me you likely have nothing in your bank account on December 23rd. It's one thing to quote the verse above when things are going well in your life.  Try it when the chips are down.  

Okay, so it isn't the worst thing that can happen in life.  But isn't it amazing how, in just a few short years, most of our lives have become tied up in electronic gadgetry?  Amazing, to be sure, and a bit terrifying.  So, when my I had to pull the plug on my sick computer, simplification was forced upon me whether I wanted it or not. I suddenly remembered a time when all the world wasn't readily available to me at my fingertips and life was much less complicated.  And, truth be told, I was feeling a bit convicted about the amount of time I was spending on the computer anyway.

So instead of moping and worrying about how much a new computer was going to cost I decided to relax in the helplessness.  It was just what I needed.  God, in His mercy, often shows me just how much I need Him when I realize how helpless I am.  This verse from Philippians spoke straight to my heart and drew me closer to the One who knows everything I need from beginning to end.  My computer crash didn't take Him by surprise.

You know what else doesn't faze Him?  Disease, poverty, war, broken relationships - you name it.  It's not that He's unconcerned.  In fact, He's intimately involved in every detail.  It's just that He has a knowledge that far exceeds anything we as humans can ever concieve.  And He has a plan.  Knowing that makes me able to say, "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."

Disclaimer:  The devotion above was written using one of the WBFJ computers because Dave still doesn't have a new PC.  And Dave doesn't care.

Comments (0)