A Quiet Life

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 6:52 AM

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anyone."  1 Thessalonians: 4:11-12

Last night as I was flipping through some channels winding down from a day of kid induced chaos.  My wife and I came upon the Golden Globes.  If you're not aware, this award show is yet ANOTHER way Hollywood pats itself on the back.  If you cannot tell I am not one for pomp and circumstance (I didn't even care to attend my college graduation).  I do not care for the glorification of man in any way shape and form because it takes from God the glory He so deserves.  After all, He is the One who gave those in attendance their talent.  But I digress...

The room that the awards were held in was a fairly large one with a stage, bright lights and all the glamour one could imagine.  As I sat and watched everything unfold my thoughts began drifting towards all those who will NEVER get recognized for work that is so much more important.  God's economy is so much different than ours.  We see the people who are in the limelight and we say "wow".  God sees those in the trenches, serving Him, and says "well done."  
This morning I began reading 1 Thessalonians 4 and was struck by the verse above in contrast to what I saw last night.  There is something to be said for those of us with simple lives full of home, work and church.  We may not star in a movie or write a best seller.  Our mug may not show up on Fox News (and hopefully not our mug shot either), but we are content with that.  

There is something to say about a quiet life lived for the Lord.  I can imagine the Lord is pleased when we are content with a quiet life surrendered to Him.  In fact, I would venture to say there will be more rewards for those who work behind the scenes than for those who are seen.  So, if your a teacher, nurse or stay at home mom (God bless you) know that you can serve the Lord in the quietness of your life.  Your life can be a reflection of the grace and humility of a mighty God.  And when we reflect God in EVERYTHING we do - we will make an impact on all those around us (and you don't even have to wear a designer dress!)  

-Deke
 


Comments (0)