Deke Thoughts - New Years Devotional

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 9:55 AM

It’s that time of year again. Time to look back and see where life took you in 2008 and then step up to 2009 and prepare for what is ahead. Many times as new years approaches I think of the verse in 2 Corinthians that says: “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!”

This, of course, is speaking of our lives when we come to Christ in repentance and faith. This year I actual am ready to start the year with a single word:

BUT

Yes, I am starting this year with a big but (only one “t” mind you). Where did I get this but from? Well, I have been listening to John MacArthur talk about Ephesians and I was hit with one of the vpasssages he read.

“...we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others. But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.” Ephesians 2:3-4

Before Christ I was dead in sin and living a life of rebellion against the God who had created me. Once I turned to Christ and trusted in Him for salvation I can rejoice in the “but” of that verse. It was God’s grace and mercy that allowed me to be saved from my sin. Not my works, not my goodness, not ANYTHING. It was God and His love for a sinner like me.

As far as this new year. I have made many mistakes in 2008. I have sinned, grieved the Lord in my disobedience and fallen short of His standard but because I am now forgiven I can cling to the grace of God and look forward to a new year with great anticipation of what God can do with a wretch like myself.

If you are not sure you can claim that “but” this year I would ask that you look at your life. You, like myself, may see sins of lying, theft, lust, hate and many more. If you have never trusted in Christ for salvation you are a “child of wrath” who will one day be punished by God (this is where that one word can bring such joy) but there is a God who is willing to forgive all those sins and give you a new heart that seeks after Him. What better way to start off the new year than with a new heart.

For more on what it means to be saved and how you can know Christ as your savior you can go to the Crossroad Radio “Jesus” page. CLICK HERE. May the Lord bless you and your family in 2009!

Comments (0)