Before Time Began...

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 2:23 PM

“So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,” 2 Timothy 1:8-9

This past week I was in my car enjoying my favorite Christmas CD from Relient K. I was listening to their song “I Celebrate The Day.” As I have mentioned in past Wednesday Word’s (and I know you memorize them all) I love that song. After the finally note I turned off the car stereo and drove in silence pondering the lyric:

“For the first time when you opened your eyes did You realize that you would be my savior? When the first breath left your lips did you know that it would change this world forever?”

As I was doing that I remembered scriptures (like 2 Timothy) that tells us that even before time began God had a plan to redeem people He hadn’t even created yet. Then I was hit with a profound thought (at least for my little brain)…God created His enemies so that He could die to save them.

Why would He do this? God does not need us. He has everything in and of Himself. So why?
In short...for His glory.

Being omnipotent, omniscient, perfect and holy God’s attributes were evident just in the fact that He existed. But in order for his love, mercy, kindness, justice and righteousness to be evident - He needed someone to demonstrate them to/on. Enter humankind. We were created perfect yet God knew we would fall into sin. He knew we would lie, cheat, steal, murder, lust, hate and every other wretched thing we do AND YET He created us anyway so that His mercy and grace as well as His justice would be made known to all of creation. WOW.

So this Christmas as we look into the nativities in our plays and on our mantles let’s remember that the very baby that lays in the manger is the one who from eternity past decided to create us so that He could show His grace to all those who will call on His name. Merry Christmas!

Comments (0)