The re-launch of "Crossroad Gold"

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 7:27 AM

Go back a few years with me. In the mid 90's I was a fresh-faced young college grad living in Music City, USA (Nashville, TN if you live under a rock - no offense to sub-rock dwellers) and making a meager living as a freelance writer for music publications such as CCM, which still exists online, Release, Christian Entertainment, and the one I spent the most time with, 7ball, a first-of-its-kind modern rock music zine.

I was on the front row at the 1996 Dove Awards and watched as dcTalk won "Artist Of The Year" and Jars Of Clay took home the "New Artist Of The Year" honors in what was a historic momentum shift for the burgeoning genre of alternative/modern rock in the Christian music industry.

Being a member of the media and covering this kind of music had a lot of perks. Unfortunately not many of them were monetary. Still I reaped the benefits of being able to get my hands on a lot of music due to my connections (record labels can be very generous and they want you to like them) and most of it, much to my wife's chagrin, is stored in my basement at home.

While looking through my collection this week the thought came to me that it would be a cool idea to re-launch the dormant "Crossroad Gold" segment by putting these CDs to use. In the past, "Gold" consisted simply of playing a song that had been featured on the show before and commenting briefly on it. My new idea is to re-introduce you to some of your favorite artists who have gone on to big succes within the industry (think Newsboys, Third Day, Audio Adrenaline, Switchfoot, dcTalk, Jars, etc.) by playing some of their earlier works when they were considered edgy and alternative - whatever alternative actually means. But we're not stopping there. There were other bands who, for various reasons, didn't take the same path. Bands such as Plankeye, Five Iron Frenzy, Guardian, Bride, Fold Zandura, Stavesacre, The Waiting, The OC Supertones, Smalltown Poets, johnny Q. public, and I could go on and on.

So let's cut to the chase. Starting Friday, February 12th, Martin and I will be giving you a very interesting history lesson involving one band and one song that helped pave the way for a show like Crossroad Radio. You'll find the segment at 11:15pm each week and we couldn't posssibly be more excited about it! As you may be aware, Martin has his own share of experiences from being a drummer for several bands in the 90's and the early part of the 2000's and has his own vast collection to draw from as well.

We've heard your clamoring for something like this and we're glad to finally offer the new and revised "Crossroad Gold!"

Dave

Comments (0)