Depth with Dave - XR Newsletter Devotion

Posted by WBFJ | | Posted on 10:55 AM

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.” Micah 5:2

Contrary to popular belief the wise men were not at the manger scene. Jesus could have been as old as two years by the time they arrived in Bethlehem to offer their gifts. Still, their story is intertwined with the Christmas story because of a star God chose to shine over the town where Jesus had been born.

In a strange turn of events (doesn’t it seem that God often works that way), I’m participating in a Christmas Nativity play written and directed by my dad at my old church this year. God called me out of this congregation into a youth ministry position within another church over three years ago. Prior to that, I directed the Christmas play at this church for five straight years with my dad taking over when I left. Given that I’m very active in my current church and have no thoughts of ever leaving, I never thought that I would be back in my old church acting in a play again. But when I found out that my dad was having a hard time finding actors for all of the parts this year I decided to offer my services, since the date he had picked for the performance didn’t conflict with anything at my church. He took me up on the offer. I asked to be a “shepherd abiding in the field” because it sounded uncomplicated and my availability to rehearse was limited.

Well, not only am I a shepherd, I’ve also been given a part as a “Herod Heckler.” That’s right, a “Herod Heckler.” In a role that my dad totally invented for this story, I get to be the guy who announces to King Herod that the wise men are there to see him. As Herod unveils his plan to send the wise men I, being his advisor, start to heckle him about wanting to worship a Jewish king. Honestly, I think my dad came up with this part to give me something to do (trust me, he shouldn’t have) because I don’t see anything about it in scripture. But, as it isn’t unscriptural, I’m still doing the part.

Even though this fictional character doesn’t see Herod’s scheme for what it is, Herod doesn’t have anything on him when it comes to spiritual blindness. Both Herod and my made up heckler were looking for the Messiah to come in a political fashion. Herod felt threatened by his power and concocted a deceitful plan to have him killed. Roughly thirty-three years later, the chief priests and the teachers of the law would do the same thing. But they didn’t get it.

Ultimately, Christ will put every earthly power under His feet but on His first venture to earth, He came in a labor of love. It was unexpected. But that’s the way God works. He sent His son as a baby to a poor, soon to be family who laid him down in a manger inside a stable in a town that, other than being known as David’s original home, was pretty non-descript. This child grew up and went on to save the world through His death on a cross that should have been ours. None of this makes sense. God could have sent a political Messiah to exert His power and show us all who’s the boss. But in the miracle of the Nativity, he shows that He wants our hearts. He wants us to respond to the love of the one who would step out of Heaven and humble himself (Philippians 2:6-11) to save our souls and bring glory to His Father by doing so.

Do you ever feel small? Do you feel like only one small voice in a crowd of billions in a world that increasingly wants to take “Christ” out of Christmas? If so, keep in mind what God did on that night over 2,000 years ago. In an event that would alter the course of world history, he chose to do a small and, in the world’s eyes, foolish thing to shame the wise (1 Corinthians 1:27) and to make wise the simple (Psalm 19:7).

Comments (2)

You guys are completey amazing.
You have no idea how glad I am that you guys take the time and play music that young people like. I mean you have no idea how much this helps me in my life!!

loveyouguys.
-Ashley!

Thanks for the encouragement Ashley! We praise the Lord that we have the opportunity to minister to everyone out there via music and talk.

God bless!